Tuesday, October 19, 2010

In the Studio


This was one of my homework assignments from the Discovering Y.O.U. Art Marketing Course I recently took from Traci Bautista, an inspiring mixed-media artist, author, product designer, and all-around awesome person. Check out her website, treicdesigns.com.

I did the composition on manila file folder, using acrylics, oil pastels, and markers. I also collaged an actual to-do list, some old journal and scrapbook paper, and a photo of my kids from a ride at Chuck-e Cheese.



This assignment focused on our definition of success. So I wrote: "I am here to create. To start a revolution in my life, my soul. I want to dare. To be original. To teach others to let go and plug in to creative energy. To push my limits. To write. To inspire. To share. To connect. To balance. To envision."



While incorporating current challenges I'm facing, I also wrote, "Look beyond the now." (And yes, I'm trying to!)

Here's another homework assignment. The background of this is old magazine paper (sorry, Martha!) that I treated with CitraSolv to give it a weird, lunar landscape-like feeling. I then added oil pastels, a bit of acrylics, and markers. Love those Sakura gels! Dyed paper towels that the girls and I made last summer are on the bottom to add texture.



My signature pierced "graffiti fish" in the center is made from old scrapbook paper, which I painted over. The inscription on the tail is from The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams. It reads, "REAL isn't how you are made. It's a thing that happens to you. Once you are real, you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

So take THAT, art snobs!

No comments: